Updated: Aug 21, 2020
Some days are just coffee cake days... amiright?!
I have to say the combiantion of flavors in this cake is everything... don't believe me?
Try it out yourself!
What to do with all that coffee cake?
Eat it : within 1 week at room temp, 2 weeks in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer
Share it with allll your people or with yourself (duhh)
Freeze & eat it later : bring to room temp or heat in a 350F oven for 5-10 minutes
Break it into crumbles & add it on top of ice cream
Make them into muffins, change the cook time to 20-25 mins (keep a close eye so they don't get too over done)
More ideas?? Comment and share with others below!
Brown Buttah Swirl + Crumb Coating
I N G R E D I E N T S:
- 8 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (divided)
- 1 cup bread flour (divided)
- optional: 1/2 cup pecans
M E T H O D :
1. Over medium heat, melt 8 tbsp butter + 4 tbsp heavy cream + 1 tsp vanilla until it’s starts to bubble and turns a golden color.
2. Remove from heat, then mix in 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup bread flour, and 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional).
3. Split mixture into 2 equal parts. Reserve 1 portion for the swirl inside the cake.
4. With the other half, mix in 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar
I N G R E D I E N T S:
- 1 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter, room temp
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- Brown butter swirl + crumb topping (above)
C A K E M E T H O D :
1. Preheat oven to 350 F & line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Mix together: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside
3. Using an electrics mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together sugar, butter, cream cheese, and until pale and fluffy.
4. Scrape down the sides. Add eggs, one at a time. Then add the yogurt.
5. Beat for 1 minute on med-high speed. Then, add the dry ingredients in 3 parts.
6. Now that the batter is made, add 1/2 to the parchment lined pan. Then spread the brown butter mixture on top. Add the remaining batter on top.
7. Lastly, add the crumb topping on top. Bake for 40-55 mins. Insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it comes out clean.
8. Cool & add a glaze on top if you desire, but it is also delish on its own!
G L A Z E : I used 1 cup of buttercream + 4 oz cream cheese, whip it together, and then add as much or as little as you'd like to the coffee cake :)
**if you're like me, feel free to bathe your coffee cake in glaze, the more the merrier YASSS
bread flour: all purpose, self-rising, GF cup-for-cup
cream cheese: sour cream, greek yogurt, apple sauce
butter: vegan butter, melted coconut oil (should work, I haven't tested coconut oil myself)
heavy cream: in the brown butter crumb, you can sub 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp milk